For as long as civilization has existed, human beings have invented ways of sustaining themselves and subsequently improving their living conditions. Accommodation is one of the most basic necessities which determines a suitable living condition. In this age of development, construction companies enjoy an advantageous position with soaring business sales. Rapid infrastructural development, population growth, and urbanization are a few of the critical factors that have led to construction projects’ increase.
Reckless construction, however, can adversely affect the environment and pose massive damage through carbon dioxide emission, deforestation, exhaustive mining practices, etc. In the last few decades, a considerable shift in construction practices is observable. More and more buildings are being erected by utilizing sustainable products, which have several advantages, which will be explored in a more significant detail in the article. Besides being eco-friendly, they significantly reduce operative charges and make for more comfortable homes. Their increase has been prompted by legislative changes, customer demand, and the immediacy to minimize environmental harm and add a positive contribution to a greener world.
Some of the most sustainable building elements which can improve living conditions and minimize environmental harm
Bamboo belongs to the perennial forest grass family and is endemic to all continents except Europe and Antarctica. It is highly durable with high tensile strength, making it a fitting substitute for timbre. Bamboos grow at a rapid pace, sometimes up to 4 meters in a day. Because of their rapid growth and harvesting properties, their high self-replenishment rate makes them a popular environment-friendly raw material. They are lightweight, reducing transportation costs, and can be locally sourced to enhance local livelihood.
. Rammed Earth:
It is an implement that the human race has used since antiquity. It is essentially what it sounds: the natural tampered earth below our feet molded to construct foundations, floors, and walls. It is an inexpensive and eco-friendly building product whose high insulating properties render living conditions extremely comfortable.
Papercrete and hempcrete are cost-effective substitutes of one of the most toxic construction implements, concrete. Its most valuable quality is that it is CO2 negative, which means that it absorbs more carbon dioxide than it emits, therefore positively minimizing pollution and aiding energy conservation.
. Straw Bales:
It has load-bearing qualities and high insulating properties, but what makes it one of the essential sustainable building products is its significantly low manufacturing cost instead of other insulating materials such as fiberglass that incur high energy-intensity.
. Recycled Plastic:
According to a report by Eunomia in 2016, over 12M tonnes of plastic waste plague marine life in a year, making plastic one of the most environmentally harmful substances. Recycling plastic and using it to construct tables and fences can significantly reverse the harm it causes to the environment. Recycled plastic can be combined with non-processed plastic to create polymeric timbers, which can be used to build various items.
Benefits of Sustainable Building Implements
- The raw materials are readily available and can be locally sourced, reducing transportation charges and procurement costs.
- Most sustainable product substitutes are durable and sturdy, giving rise to permanent structures and minimizing maintenance and future repair costs.
- It can generate a healthier space owing to an absence of toxins, harmful materials, and VOCs(Volatile Organic Compounds).
- Sustainable building products encourage the use of recycled materials, thereby minimizing waste production.
- It benefits the environment in several ways through such processes as energy conservation, limiting mining practices, and improving small livelihoods as most of these raw materials can be locally sourced.
- It reduces operational charges and is much more cost-effective for construction companies.
- It increases sales values as Green Certification attracts potential buyers. Data studies show that Sustainable buildings sold 8% more than non-certified households of the same quality.
As opposed to using steel and cement manufacturing which have high carbon dioxide emission rates, and other products which adversely affect the environment, sustainable construction ideas have revolutionized the construction market. The latter does not harm biodiversity, reduces pollution, and prevents natural resource depletion. It is of little wonder that they are emerging as a popular ideal among builders and constructors, especially given that they have magnified sales and paved the way for more comfortable living.